One of the burden of the office job is when your co-workers come and seek your help- it often ends up with a burdensome task that will result to more workload.
By eliminating the request from your peers alone you will free up a significant amount of work. Here's how you can do it.
Before we begin, set your own cellphone number on your desk phone's speed dial and vice versa.
When your co-worker approaches you to seek your help, follow these steps:
1. Tell him/her "Oh, one minute, I have to make this phone call"
2. Dial an incomplete number. Start talking.
3. When he/she's not looking, speed dial your cellphone number. (Keep talking)
4. Your cellphone will ring. To your fake amusement, answer your cellphone. Tell the imaginary caller that you're busy on another line, ask them to hold.
5. Switch back to your desk phone. Talk.
6. Hang up your desk phone. Continue talking on your cellphone.
7. When he/she's not looking, speed dial your desk phone.
8. Repeat step 4-7 (switch the phone type) until your co-worker becomes bored and leave.
What if your co-worker returns for the second time?
9. Of course, repeat step 1-7.
What if your co-worker returns for the third time?
10. Do step 1, but dial his desk phone number instead.
11. Your co-worker will return back to his desk to answer the call. Hang up once he/she arrive at his/her desk. (you should keep pretending and talk)
12. Repeat step 10 & 11 every time he/she returns.
What if your co-worker still return after the 10th time?
13. Call your boss.
14. Pass the phone to your co-worker, telling him/her the boss wants to speak with him/her.
15. Once your co-worker says hello, stomp on his/her foot really hard. Let's hope he/she'll curse your boss and end up getting fired immediately.
Tadaam! One less work today!